Elephant Foot Yam/Suran
- Yam is an edible starchy tuber. Elephant yams are larger in size and features thick, rough, dark brown to pink skin.
- Yams are a good source of vitamin C. It provides a good amount of fiber, potassium, manganese, and metabolic B vitamins.
- The content of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine; 16% of the daily value) is good for shrinking the effects of homocysteine, which can do real damage to cell walls that could lead to heart attacks and/or stroke.
Storage and Uses
- Wash the yam well in running water, dice it into pieces and then store them.
- Yam contains calcium oxalate crystals which can cause irritation to the mouth and throat if eaten raw or not fully cooked.